Has your Epson printer run out of ink? It is easy to change the ink! You’ll either use ink cartridges or liquid ink refills, like with an EcoTank. Here’s how to change ink in an Epson printer – from ink cartridges to ink bottles.
There are two ways to change ink in your Epson printer. You’ll either swap ink cartridges – empty with new – or use ink bottles to refill the ink tanks of your Epson printer. Both ways are fast and can be done in just two minutes.
Once you do this once, you will be able to easily change the ink every time. There are a few key details you’ll need to know.
This post is broken into two sections. First, you’ll learn how to refill an Epson EcoTank printer, then how to change ink cartridges in an Epson printer.
Table of Contents
1. How to Refill an Epson EcoTank Printer: 8 Steps
Here’s how to refill the liquid ink in your Epson EcoTank printer.
- Lift the scanner unit and open the ink tank cover. Make sure to notice the color sticks by the ink tanks.
- Open the ink tank cap for the black tank. Remove the lid for black ink. The top of each bottle corresponds to the same color tank. This prevents confusion or errors of adding the wrong ink color to a tank.
- Add ink to the black tank. Position the top of the bottle on the slot for the corresponding ink color tank. Slowly turn the bottle (upside down) and wait for the ink to fill the tank. Don’t squeeze the bottle. The ink will stop flowing automatically once the tank has been refilled.
- Once ink stops flowing, remove the bottle and recap. Close the ink tank cap.
- Repeat for the other three colors.
- Once all four tanks are filled, close the ink tank cover and lower the scanner unit.
- Don’t forget to charge the ink. Epson printers need to be told that the tanks have been refilled. When you turn on the printer, you’ll be reminded to do this. You’ll press and hold the Help (?) button for 3 seconds. Ink charging takes about 10 minutes.
- Reset ink levels: On the printer menu, go to Maintenance > Reset Ink Levels. Press OK. You’ll then indicate which ink colors you refilled.
Here’s more about resetting your Epson printer.
Filling Ink Tanks in Epson EcoTank (Video)
Here’s a great visual guide to refilling your EcoTank ink.
2. How to Change Ink in Epson Printer: 4 Steps
Here’s how to change an ink cartridge in an Epson printer in 4 easy steps. Follow the instructions below.
Step 1: Power Up and Remove the Paper
- Turn the printer on and open the front cover.
- Pull out the paper tray and remove all paper.
Step 2: Open Door to Access Ink Cartridges
- Open the door protecting the inside of the printer.
- When the door opens, the cartridge should move to the replacing position (middle of the door).
Step 3: Remove the Old Cartridge
- To remove the cartridge, gently press down on it until you hear a click.
- Remove the cartridge and repeat the process for the other.
- The colored ink will be on the right and black ink on the left.
What If the Cartridges Move? If the door to the ink cartridges is left open for more than 10 minutes, the cartridges will slide to the side. Close the door and reopen it to move the ink back to the replacement position.
Step 4: Reinstall Ink in Printer
- Take the new ink packet from its box and remove the protective tape.
- Place the new ink into the slot by pushing it in at an angle until it clicks into place.
- Repeat for the other ink cartridge.
Can I Install Epson Ink in the Wrong Slot? No. The color ink cartridge won’t fit in the black slot. And vice versa. They are made differently to prevent this mistake.
Before closing the door, make sure all cartridges line up equally.
Don’t forget to check that you’ve removed the protective tape from your ink cartridge. This is one reason your printer won’t print even with full ink.
How much ink is left? Here’s how to check ink levels on Epson printers.
Epson Ink Questions
Below are the most common questions we hear about Epson printers and changing the ink cartridges.
Which way does the ink cartridge go in the printer?
When replacing an ink cartridge, place it into the machine the same way you took it out.
In most Epson printers, the color ink is on the right, and black is on the left. If you aren’t sure where the ink goes into the designated slot, refer to your printer manual.
Can I put a black ink cartridge in a color ink spot?
The black ink won’t fit correctly in the colored ink slot.
And you shouldn’t try to switch the places of color ink and black ink. Putting the wrong cartridge in the incorrect slot could cause your printer to malfunction and produce a messy print result.
Make sure you replace your ink by placing the cartridges in the same spot every time. You don’t want to print something black and have random streaks of color.
Rather than swapping black with color ink, here’s how to print without black ink.
Can I use refillable cartridges?
Yes, but you can experience clogs if using off-brand ink cartridges. And because they don’t always integrate with the printer, it can also make it harder to know when your ink needs replacement.
It is always best to buy brand-new ink cartridges when replacing a printer’s ink.
Some ink brands will last up to two years if correctly stored.
Do all Epson printers use the same ink?
No. Not all printers use the same ink cartridges. Some Epson models use different types of ink.
You can find the correct ink by searching with your specific printer model. Most have the model number o the front of the printer.
Now that you know how to change ink in Epson printers, you should have no problem refilling or changing the ink package every time your printer needs it.
Changing the ink is a simple process if done correctly. It only takes a few seconds. Let me know if you have any questions or tips for changing ink cartridges in an Epson printer.
Curious about what printer you have? Here’s how to know if you have an inkjet or laser printer.