It’s time to print, but your HP printer is offline. Now, what? Before you throw the printer across the room, here are 7 ways to fix your Windows HP printer and get rid of the HP printer offline error.
Here are seven fixes for your offline HP printer. You can use HP Smart or HP Print and Scan Doctor, tools by HP. You should also check connections (WiFi, cable, power), and set the correct default printer. Don’t forget to reset your HP printer if it still shows as offline.
Table of Contents
HP Printer Offline Fix
It can be pretty frustrating to see this message on your printer. Here’s how to get your offline printer back online.
1. Check Power and Paper
If you’re hoping for an easy solution then this is it.
- Check that your HP printer is on by pressing the power button to wake it.
- Check your power cable connection, both in the back of the printer and in the wall outlet.
- Confirm the paper is loaded correctly in the input tray.
You’ve been working, maybe you’re tired, and we’re hoping this is all it takes to get your printer back online.
2. Use the HP Print and Scan Doctor
The HP Print and Scan Doctor is a free tool to detect, diagnose, and fix printing and scanning problems. The program may already be installed on your computer.
If not, go ahead and download, then run the program. It could mean the printer needs a software update. Verify whether or not the HP Print and Scan Doctor needs an update.
Once installed or updated, click Start and choose the Offline Printer, then click Fix Printing. The HP Print and Scan Doctor results are displayed in icons.
A checkmark for a pass, a wrench for a fixed problem, an exclamation mark for a failed test, and an X for a problem that needs your attention. Follow the instructions provided to fix the problem.
3. Check the Printer Connection
Check your connection when your HP printer keeps going offline. Signals can go in and out depending on your location and connectivity strength.
You might start by moving the printer closer to the wireless router to improve signal quality. Check your internet connection by opening a browser to determine if your Wi-Fi is the problem.
With intermittent Wi-Fi, disconnect the power cord to restart the router. Then wait 15 seconds and plug it back in. If the wireless icon or button (not all models have one) is off or blinking, then your hp printer is offline.
Here’s how to connect your HP printer to WiFi.
A. Touch Screen Control Printers
Depending on the printer, there are different ways to reconnect to your network.
If your control panel is a touchscreen, open the network settings menu (also called Setup or Wireless settings), choose Wireless Setup Wizard, and follow the instructions. Then select the network and enter your password.
B. Non-Touch Screen Control Printers
For non-touchscreen control panels, press and hold the wireless button until the light starts to flash (typically for five seconds).
On the router, press and hold the WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) button until the light starts to flash. The light will stop flashing when the connection is complete.
C. Specific Printers
For Tango, HP Deskjet 6000 and 6400, and Envy 6000 and 6400 printers, press and hold down the Wi-Fi button on the backside of the printer until the light starts flashing (typically five seconds).
On the router, press and hold the WPS button until the light starts to flash. The connection is complete when the light stops flashing.
Then restart the printer and the computer to clear any errors in the system.
4. Try Using the HP Smart App
The HP Smart app can diagnose and fix several printing issues by running troubleshooting directly from the app. It can clear the queue, resume the queue, and resolve queue errors.
It checks if your HP printer is offline and reconnects it for you, then troubleshoots why it keeps going offline. The app will also check for and install software updates to help prevent the printer from going offline.
- Install the app and put the computer and printer near the router. Turn on Wi-Fi and connect to your network. Make sure Bluetooth is enabled so the HP Smart app can detect it.
- Once connected, create an account or sign in. Click add printer and follow the onscreen instructions.
- For your offline printer- open the app, click diagnose and fix, and then click start.
5. Set the Default Printer
Setting your default printer ensures you are using the correct printer.
- Open Printers and Scanners.
- The check box next to ‘Let Windows Manage My Default Printer’, should not be checked.
- Go to the list of printers, select your printer, and click manage.
- Then click set as default.
Now your printer is the default and papers will automatically go to it unless you change it.
6. Check Windows Function Discovery Services
The function discovery services need to start automatically. This service acknowledges the printer and allows it to be discovered on your computer.
- Open the control panel and click View Devices and Printers.
- Right-click on the name of your printer, select printer properties and click the Ports tab.
- Find WSD in the list and confirm the box is checked.
- Back in Windows, open services and in the list find both function discovery provider host and function discovery resource publication.
- The status should state running and the startup type needs to be automatic. If not, right-click the item and select properties. Then change the startup type to automatic. Click apply, start, and OK, then close the services window.
Restart the printer and the computer to confirm the changes in the system.
Get more help with our HP Printer Support Guide.
7. Reset The Printer
This fix has its own guide. Resetting your printer can include a network reset, factory reset, or a hard or soft reset.
Here’s our seven-method guide to resetting your HP printer.
Still having trouble? Here’s how to Fix an HP Printer that Won’t Print
HP Printer Offline is Back Online
Our main goal is to get your HP printer back online. There are several solutions available and while some take minimal effort, others can take some time.
These 7 fixes will aid you in getting your printer back online now and in the future as long as you remember to keep the apps updated. Now your printing issues are resolved so you can continue your work.