Wondering how to connect an iPad to a printer? In this article, we’ll be walking you through the steps of how to add a printer to your iPad in just three steps. Let’s get started!
There are three ways to connect iPad to your printer. The best way is to use AirPrint if you have a supported printer. You can also use one of many AirPrint alternative apps. You can also use the brand-specific app, produced by your printer manufacturer. All three methods are easy.
Table of Contents
How to Connect iPad to Printer (3 Ways)
Here are the three options you have for printing from your iPad. The first option will almost certainly work. But there are settings where you might require one of the other two options.
1. AirPrint to Connect iPad to Printer (5 Steps)
If you want to print from your iPad, AirPrint is your best option.
The AirPrint technology allows your iPad to directly connect to your printer without any brand-specific drivers. And the hassles that go with them.
Before we get to the steps, here are two things to keep in mind.
- Make sure that you have an AirPrint-compatible printer. Most modern printers will support AirPrint, but you should double-check before you buy a printer just to be sure. AirPrint is an Apple app pre-installed on the iPad that allows you to connect your device to a compatible printer.
- Before connecting, verify that your printer and iPad are on the same Wi-Fi network. Once the printer shows on your iPad, you can open the desired app, select the printer icon, and send the document or photo to the printer.
Having trouble getting your printer on WiFi? Here’s what you need to know.
Here’s how to print from your iPad using AirPrint.
- Open the document or image you want to print
- Select the print option. You’ll likely find this under the Share button or the More actions ellipsis (…). Depending on the app that you’re using, you might not find a print option. Not all apps support AirPrint.
- Tap on Select Printer (see image below). Select your AirPrint-supported printer.
- Select your print details. You can select the size, page range, number of pages, print layout, etc.
- Tap Print in the top right. (see image below)
There’s no need to set this up first because AirPrint comes ready to integrate with your AirPrint-supported printer.
AirPrint makes printing from your iPad an easy and efficient task.
Tips for Using AirPrint to Connect iPad to Printer
Here are some tips and tricks for using AirPrint to connect your iPad to a printer:
- Allow your device to detect printers automatically.
- If the printer doesn’t automatically appear in the AirPrint menu, add it manually.
- Choose the correct printer if you have multiple printers connected to your network.
2. Using AirPrint Alternative Apps to Print via iPad
Several apps allow you to print from your iPad, even if you don’t have an AirPrint printer. Just make sure both your iPad and printer are connected to the same Wi-Fi network, and then open the app and start printing.
The first step to connecting your iPad to a printer requires you to download the correct app for your device. There are many third-party apps available, but here we’ll focus on the most popular ones.
Some AirPrint alternatives include:
- Printer Pro
- PrintCentral Pro
When you’ve downloaded the app, it’s time to set it up. After installing the app, you will have to pair your device with the printer, either via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. The app will then search for connected printers nearby or allow you to enter a printer address manually.
Once you’ve set up the connection, you’ll be able to print off documents and images from your iPad.
AirPrint Activator. There are Windows apps that will make all printers AirPrint-supported. You can check out O’Print and MyPackBrain.
Tips for Connecting iPad to Printer with Third-Party Apps
- If you’re having trouble connecting your printer to your iPad via a third-party app, double-check your printer in the device settings.
- Make sure that you’ve got the right paper loaded into the printer. If you use the wrong type of paper, your images and text may print out faintly, distorted, or not at all.
3. Using a Manufacturer App to Connect iPad to Printer
If you didn’t find what you needed in the first two options, you can also use the manufacturer’s app.
Most printer manufacturers produce apps that connect your iPad directly to the printer.
Printer apps often require you to enter a code or search for a specific name on your local Wi-Fi network. Once you have connected your iPad to the printer, you can send photos and documents from your iPad directly to the printer via the Printer app.
I recently downloaded the Canon Print app for my new MF451dw printer. I’m happy with how well it works – it was easy to set up and easy to customize the print job.
Tips for Using a Manufacturer App to Print via iPad
- If the printer doesn’t automatically appear, don’t worry! You can manually add your printer by following the instructions given in the app. If the instructions are not clear, you can also contact the manufacturer for assistance.
- When you’re connecting your printer to your iPad, make sure you have the most up-to-date version of the manufacturer’s app and the printer’s firmware. Having the latest versions ensures that the connection is secure and that you’re taking advantage of all the features the app offers.
Here’s how to add a Canon printer to your Mac computer.
Here’s what to do if your iPhone can’t find your printer.
Are Your Printing?
Connecting an iPad to a printer is a straightforward process. AirPrint is the easiest way to connect your iPad to a printer.
If this method doesn’t work, there are also third-party apps that can be used as alternatives to AirPrint, as well as specific manufacturer apps. Whichever method you choose, setting up an iPad to a printer is easy and simple.
How did it go for you? I would love to hear about your experience and any questions.